BrainMinders is the signature project for Pilot International focused on traumatic brain injury and brain disorders. The project encompasses a public service campaign designed to promote brain awareness; prevention education programs for children and adults; workshop and speakers bureau materials; a partnership with Project Lifesaver, a tracking program; and support for brain-related programs.
The award-winning BrainMinders™ programs feature safety tips for children and are presented by Pilot Clubs around the world. 500,000 books are in circulation.
The BrainMinder Buddies™ program structures injury prevention “Play Safe, Play Smart” through the story “Wise Old Owl and his Fuzzy, Funny, Smart and Sunny BrainMinder Buddies”. Gerald Giraffe – helmet Safety, Martin Monkey – playground safety, Penny Panda – seatbelt safety and Fiona Fox – crossing the street safety, illustrate how to play safe and play smart. The program for children 7-8 years of age features Brave Bob Beagle – gun safety, Toolip Pig – safety in the kitchen, Hero Horse – helmet safety, Captain Kitty – boating safety and Danny Deep – swimming safety.
A sixteen page coloring book includes information and activities for the parents and coloring pages with tips and activities for the children.
The beginning kit includes:
- a media strategies booklet
- a guidebook for presenting the story in a classroom setting
- an 11”x 17” flip chart storybook in full color
- a reproducible certificate for each child after completion of the class
- a fact sheet
- an introductory letter to educational institutions
- sheet music for the BrainMinder Buddies song written by Donna Nobles of Cary, NC
- the coloring/activity book
- an evaluation form for feedback
- Books cost $65.00 per box of 200 plus shipping. Smaller quantities incur a $5.00 handling fee.
Additional story charts, puppets and tee-shirts are also available to the clubs from catalog sales.